HOW TO REACH LUXEMBOURG
- By plane: There is an airport in Luxembourg City.
You may also want to check the availabilities of nearby airports in Belgium (Brussels Airport, Charleroi), or Germany (Frankfurt Hahn, Frankfurt Main)
and look for bus connections to Luxembourg City.
- By train: Luxembourg City is 2 hours from Paris by high-speed trains and 3 hours from Brussels. There are also high-speed trains in the direction of Metz/Strasbourg/Marseille.
- By car: In the summer, driving inside Benelux is very convenient.
TRANSPORTATION IN LUXEMBOURG
- Maps, and how to reach Campus Belval.
- The simplest and usually the best option to get to Campus Belval is by taking the train (even if you are lodged in Esch-sur-Alzette). There are four trains per hour (during day time on working days). The train station at Campus Belval is called "Belval-Université".
Campus Belval is connected by direct trains with the City of Luxembourg (30 minutes). The train stops at Bettembourg and Esch-sur-Alzette (and at some other stops).
Check train (and bus) times on the CFL website or at mobiliteit.lu.
- We strongly advise you to buy day-tickets. They cost only 4 EUR (per day) and allow you to take any public transport (trains, trams and busses) in the entire country. A single ride is 2 EUR. That may only be interesting on your day of arrival or departure.
- Single rides and day-tickets can be bought at any ticket machine (usually accepting coins, EURO banknotes and bank/credit cards) or at the ticket counter at the main train stations. Click here for opening times of the ticket counters.
If you buy a ticket from the machine, it is already validated (i.e. you must buy it before the first ride of the day and cannot buy it the evening before). At the ticket counter and the mobility centers you can get chip cards on which you can load tickets in advance. In that case, it suffices to validate a loaded ticket at the platform before entering the train (or inside the bus).
- There is no centralised number to call a Taxi, but various Taxi companies. For example:
Webtaxi, Mondial Taxis.
Taking a Taxi may be very expensive (count up to 100 EUR to get from the airport to your hotel; by public transport it is 2 EUR; during heavy traffic you might even be faster by public transport), we recommend you to book a taxi in advance and agree on a flat rate (taxis waiting e.g. at the station do not apply a flat rate).
Those for who we provide free accommodation are lodged in one of the following hotels:
- Youth Hostel in Esch-sur-Alzette.
It has very high standards, and it is conveniently located right at the train station.
You can reach Campus Belval by train in 5 minutes (4 trains per hour during day time). The reception is open 24/7.
Bedsheets are provided, but towels and soap/shampoo you have to bring yourself.
- Ibis Hotel located on the Campus Belval.
- Hotel Bernini in Bettembourg. It is a little more than a kilometer walk from Bettembourg train station, which connects you to Belval Campus and the City of Luxembourg by direct trains (4 trains per hour during day time). The reception is open from 7:00 to 23:00. If you should arrive later, please call the hotel and make special arrangements.
To walk to Hotel Bernini, leave Bettembourg train station at the side of the station building where there is also the bus station. Turn left and follow the rails (they are always on your left) until you get to a very large bridge that is for pedestrians only (and does not seem to be on google maps). Cross the train lines via that bridge. You will automatically get to Rue Lentz. Follow that street to its end (i.e. do not turn left at the only possibility). Turn right into the Route de Luxembourg and follow it until you see the pink building Hotel Bernini on your left (on the right hand side there is a Q8 petrol station).
There are also some buses (none in the evening) going from Bettembourg station to Hotel Bernini. Get bus number 200 at Bettembourg bus station right in front of the train station building in the direction Luxembourg and get off at the second stop "12 Gargullen" after a 3 min ride. You see the pink building of Hotel Bernini on your left.
If we do not provide free accommodation for you, you can also check the availability of other Youth Hostels in Luxembourg.
Close to the train station in Esch-sur-Alzette there is also Hotel Acacia.
In case you find no accomodation at a reasonable price in Luxembourg,
consider that the city Thionville (in France) is only 15 minutes away from Bettembourg by train, and there you have a direct train to Campus Belval.
- Find out more about the new quarter Belval where the school is held:
the site, restaurants, shopping, etc.
- There is a university restaurant on the Campus Belval near the building "Maison du Savoir MSA": the menu. You can buy vouchers at the reception desk of the summer school.
- On the Campus Belval there are several eating/drinking possibilities, some of which are on the main square and in the shopping center (Belval Plaza).
There is also a well-furnished supermarket (Del Haize) where you can also find sandwiches, sushi etc..
- In Esch there are various eating possibilities. Near the train station (Place de l'Hôtel de Ville) you have a small Carrefour supermarket.
- To call an ambulance, in Luxembourg you dial 112. The closest hospital to Campus Belval is the CHEM in Esch.
- In the night and in the weekends there is always a doctor on duty (this is not for emergencies): you can go to
Maison médicale in Esch (70, rue Émile Mayrisch).
After midnight, you are expected to call 112 but, if you do not have an emergency, you will be contacted by the doctor on duty (who may even have the possibility to come to you).
- There are no pharmacies on the Campus Belval. There are various pharmacies in Esch (Trierweiler is at the train station).
Some pharmacies are open at night.